Melrose makes its mark

TWO second-half goals to Dylan Gavel in less than four minutes were enough to give Melrose all three points against Albury United in a 2-1 win at Jelbart Park yesterday.

The speed of the former Diamonds forward was a constant threat in the first half and finally delivered early in the second.

A late penalty to United’s Elliott Jones got them within a goal.

Melrose coach and keeper Josh Fluss said Melrose would have been disappointed with anything but a win.

“We dominated for most of the first half and continued in the second 45 minutes,” he said.

“Gavel and Adam Waters are two players we have spent a bit of time on in recent weeks and we are starting to see that pay off.

“Both were down on confidence and are at their best when they allow their personality to shine in their play.

“Waters was outstanding in the state of origin game and carried that form into today’s clash.”

Both Gavel and Waters were denied in the first half by United’s keeper Marty Chambers who stopped one shot from almost point blank range and was largely responsible for the Greens going into half-time at 0-0.

Meanwhile Boomers decision to push the club’s best and fairest from last season, Melkie Woldemichael, forward late in the game paid dividends in their 3-1 win over Wangaratta at Glen Park.

Boomers went 1-0 down after 10 minutes before Andrew Grove levelled five minutes before half-time.

“We were creating many chances but were falling down on the final pass,” Grove said.

“We made some changes and Melkie went from right back to take on a more attacking role. His speed and firepower were the difference with two goals late in the second half.

“It has been a consistent theme for us this year, playing good football but failing to score and, in the end, you put pressure on yourself because the scoreboard doesn’t reflect how you are playing.

“We hadn’t played for two weeks with the Easter bye and that may have been a factor.

“We were sharp at training during the week but just a bit flat out there today.”