Henty footballer Jarrah Maksymow is likely to have a serious charge laid against him dropped by the Director of Public Prosecutions.
That was revealed when a handcuffed Maksymow appeared briefly in the Albury Local Court dock on Tuesday.
The 26-year-old, arrested at a Wodonga home on Monday, will remain behind bars for now after deciding not to apply for bail.
Maksymow is accused of assaulting a woman at a property in Arunta Place, Springdale Heights, on Saturday just after 10am.
The alleged incident resulted in police charging him with aggravated break and enter with intent to commit a serious indictable offence while knowing there was a person inside, as well as assault occasioning actual bodily harm and contravention of an apprehended violence order.
Defence solicitor David Rofe said his understanding was the serious indictable matter would be withdrawn.
“At the moment, bail is not applied for,” Mr Rofe said.
Prosecutor Sergeant Erica Mulligan confirmed the likely dropping of the charge.
Sergeant Mulligan said that was the information that she had from the officer-in-charge of the case.
But she said this could not happen straight away as police had already laid the charge so the court would have to wait on this step being taken by the DPP.
Magistrate Imad Abdul-Karim confirmed the withdrawal of the charge and further remanded Maksymow in custody to appear via a video link to jail on September 25.
- Receive our daily newsletter straight to your inbox each morning from The Border Mail. Sign up here