Brisbane chief executive Paul White has joined the chorus of voices clamouring for change to end NRL coaching sagas.
White sacked seven-time premiership coach Wayne Bennett on Sunday, ending the 68-year-old's 25-season association with the Broncos in ugly fashion.
Bennett's position had become increasingly untenable at Red Hill after the announcement he and South Sydney coach Anthony Seibold would essentially switch roles at the end of the 2019 season.
Both clubs immediately began thrashing out a deal which would bring the swap forward by a year.
Bennett's Friday media conference, during which he announced he would stay on next year at the Broncos, was held without the Brisbane board's knowledge or assent.
His statement was contrary to the club's plans and, when further revelations were made public that Bennett had been talking to Souths players about pre-season plans for next season, he was fired.
It's the latest coaching saga to hit the NRL, with Ivan Cleary's switch from the Wests Tigers to Penrith and Trent Barrett's exit from Manly also messy affairs.
The situation has led to several clubs seeking a ban on coaches signing with other clubs a year before their contract expires.
White says a solution has to be found.
"This year is a little bit of an outlier with what's happened with a couple of clubs including ours," White said.
"I'm supportive of any initiative that the game wants to bring forward, and we'll support that if it gives more certainty to the supporters of our game.
"That's very important to me and I think our club must be part of that if there is those decisions to be made."
Seibold will take over at Brisbane immediately and is expected to hold his first training session on Monday at Red Hill.
Bennett has also been confirmed as the Rabbitohs head coach immediately and will take over at Redfern on a three-year deal.
Australian Associated Press