New Zealand is preparing to bury the 50 people - including children - killed in the Christchurch mosque terror attack, the worst shooting massacre in the country's history.
All of the bodies have now been removed from the mosques, and the city's Muslim community has urged authorities to quickly release the remains to family for fast burials in adherence with customs.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern confirmed that the first of the bodies would be released on Sunday afternoon.
Work by heavy machinery and a large crew to prepare graves was under way on Sunday, not far from where the second of shootings took place.
The country is already mourning, with many people grieving at makeshift memorials in Christchurch, while vigils and church services are being held elsewhere.
NZ Police Commissioner Mike Bush revealed on Sunday the body of the 50th victim had been found in the Masjid Al Noor mosque on Deans Avenue on Saturday night.
Mr Bush said police, pathologists and coroners were working to ensure families could claim their loved ones as soon as possible.
"We have to be absolutely clear on cause of death and confirm their identity before that can happen," he said.
"But we are so aware of the cultural and religious needs. So we are doing that as quickly and sensitively as possible."
Mohammed Abdelhalim described to Radio NZ losing a number of childhood friends, three with young families, in the attack.
"We were ... family people with no malice, no aggression and nothing but love for this country," he said.
"We just want our loved ones back now. We want to lay them to rest."
Another 50 people were wounded in the shooting sprees, with around 36 still in hospital on Sunday.
Four-year-old Elin Daraghmeh is among the dozen people who are still listed in a critical condition. Her father Waseem, 33, is said to be in a stable condition.
Christchurch Hospital Head of Surgery Dr Greg Robertson described how he watched the first victims arrive in private cars, followed by ambulance after ambulance.
"This is not something that we expected to see in our environment," he told reporters.
"We do see gunshot wounds. We do see all these type of injuries, but, you know, 40 or 50 people in a day is more than what we should see."
Australian man Brenton Tarrant remains the only person to be charged with murder over the shooting sprees at the Deans Ave and Linwood Masjid six kilometres away during Friday prayers.
Mr Bush said four other people arrested during Friday's police operation have either been released or charged with "tangential" offences.
He confirmed all victims were connected with the mosques.
"It's difficult to be conclusive, but my understanding is that even those that were killed outside that mosque were visiting the mosque."
Mr Bush said police would not release a list of the victims until they had been formally identified.
The attack is the worst shooting in the country's history and has seen its threat level raised to high for the first time.
Police say they will continue guarding mosques around the country until further notice.
Ms Ardern held a series of meetings in Christchurch on Saturday to assure the Muslim community their safety was top priority.
"This is not New Zealand," she told a group at the city's refugee centre.
"This act of terror was brought to our shores and rained down upon us."
Former NSW personal trainer Tarrant did not apply for bail when he appeared in court on Saturday and was remanded in custody without plea until April 5.
"There is one charge of murder brought at the moment, it is reasonable to assume that there will be others," the presiding judge noted.
The prime minister that he would be charged and tried in New Zealand.
Footage of the attack on one of the mosques was broadcast live on Facebook, and a "manifesto" denouncing immigrants as "invaders" was also posted online via links to related social media accounts.
Ms Ardern confirmed her office was one of about 30 that had been sent the manifesto nine minutes before last Friday's massacre, but it did not contain details of where the attacks would take place.
Questions have been raised about why Tarrant had appeared on a watchlist of New Zealand or Australian security agencies.
Ardern, meanwhile, also vowed New Zealand would be changing its gun laws, after it was discovered Tarrant was licensed and had five guns, some modified.
Cabinet will meet on Monday to discuss national security measures and changes to the gun laws.
Parliament will pay tribute to the victims on Tuesday.
Australian Associated Press