Feeding an animal that is in shock can be fatal, a wildlife rescue information day organised by Friends of Winton Wetlands has heard.
Benalla Wildlife Rescue's Shirley Steegstra said native animals had specialised diets and people should not offer any food and water to injured creatures.
Her tips included picking up an injured animal with a towel or blanket, placing it in a lined cardboard box with ventilation holes and transporting it securely in a car, not in the boot as exhaust fumes could kill.
IN OTHER NEWS:
If not able to take the animal immediately to a vet or rescue organisation, keep it in a warm, dark place with minimal noise.
"Please remember that some animals do not require rescuing," she said.
"For example, some baby birds are left for a short time while the parents forage for food."
For more information, go to wildlife.vic.gov.au.
Receive our daily newsletter straight to your inbox each morning from The Border Mail. Sign up here