One of four men who allegedly bashed their victim in a Wangaratta street in broad daylight has been refused bail amid fears he could offend again.
Garrie Scott has been in custody since the vicious assault on April 20, with two of his alleged co-offenders.
Graphic mobile phone footage played to Wangaratta Magistrates Court on Wednesday showed the men attack the victim, then chase after him down Larkings Street as he tried to get away.
Scott faces six charges including intentionally causing serious injury and attempted kidnapping.
Detective Senior Constable Neal Thompson gave evidence the men travelled from Shepparton to Wangaratta to collect a drug debt, and punched and kicked the victim, who was knocked unconscious at one point.
MORE NEWS FROM COURT:
He said although the footage does not show Scott lay any blows, the witness who filmed the assault told police he saw him allegedly assault the victim.
The victim eventually got away, but was taken to hospital and spent five days in intensive care.
Scott has prior convictions for violent offences and was serving a community corrections order at the time.
"The accused poses a risk to the community," Detective Thompson said.
"The victim is also in fear of retribution from these men."
Magistrate Ian Watkins said there was no evidence the victim would be a target again, but refused bail because Scott was a risk of reoffending.
Scott's barrister Simon Kenny said his client had an issue with the drug ice and had been accepted into a Shepparton rehabilitation facility after his brother paid the $1000 deposit and his grandmother committed to pay the remaining $3000 bill.
"It's a problem that at the time of offending was an overwhelming influence on his life," he said.