A Defence Force worker caught drink-driving at Latchford Barracks has lost his licence for more than a year, despite never venturing onto a public road.
In a further blow, the soldier's job in the army is now on the line.
Jacob James Dehnen, 22, was heavily intoxicated behind the wheel of a silver Holden Commodore at the army base on August 11 last year.
Army personnel believed he was drunk and called in police, who arrived and conducted a preliminary alcohol test on Dehnen at the scene.
The result was positive for alcohol, and the police members took him back to the Wodonga station about 11.30pm.
IN OTHER NEWS:
He returned a 0.161 reading - well into high range - and was asked his reason for drink-driving.
"I did not believe I was going to be on any public roads," he replied.
His licence would have been cancelled on the spot, but this did not happen as he held a South Australian licence.
Magistrate Ian Watkins asked Dehnen in Wodonga court about the law.
"Do you understand drink-driving laws apply anywhere?" he said.
The Defence Force worker nodded in reply to show he understood.
Mr Watkins said drink-driving legislation applied whether people drove on paddocks, tracks or army grounds.
"I had no intention of going on public roads, but that's obviously not an excuse," Dehnen said.
He has received notice to show cause by army command - which may lead to his termination.
It remains unclear if he will lose his Defence Force position.
Mr Watkins banned him from driving for 16 months, and fined him $650 with $84 in costs.