THE Border-Walwa Football Netball Club has relented to "extreme pressures" and gone into recess.
After fighting for survival for several years, Magpie members voted at their annual general meeting on Sunday night to sit out the 2020 season.
Club president Richard Hulme said there was no other option with the district still coming to terms with the bushfires.
"Things are too tough up here at the moment," Hulme said.
"It's disappointing but there is just too much going on in the community.
It's disappointing but there is just too much going on in the communityMagpie president Richard Hulme
"We thought it would be best to sit it out and see what happens in 12 months.
"That's the plan."
Hulme said even organising meetings had been an ordeal for the Upper Murray league club in recent weeks with many members uncontactable due to phone lines being down.
The absence of Border-Walwa will leave the league with just five football-netball clubs which it had before the inclusion of Bullioh.
"Country football in general is doing it tough and unfortunately the fires have made it even harder on top of everything else," he said.
"I'd just like to thank our volunteers and everyone who has helped us over the years."
Border-Walwa, who amalgamated with the Jingellic-based Border Football Club in 1960 to become The Border-Walwa Football Club, won senior flags in 1984, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1996, 1997 and 1998.
The Magpies last played finals in 2017 under Craig Bosley.