Speed restrictions will be in place around the Wallan derailment site after passenger trains were given the green light to resume on the North East railway line.
Freight trains resumed on the line early Friday after the derailment, which claimed the lives of XPT train driver John Kennedy and pilot Sam Meintanis more than a week ago, with the Australian Rail Track Corporation confirming track repairs had been completed.
The ARTC also confirmed the 20km/h speed restrictions would be in place for about two kilometres either side of the derailment site.
They will remain in place for more than a week and apply to all XPT, V/Line and freight trains operating on the North-East line.
Transport for NSW was the first to confirm its services would resume on Friday.
"The Sydney to Melbourne service will resume after ARTC repaired the tracks at Wallan and ONRSR, the rail safety regulator deemed the line safe for travel," a Transport for NSW spokesperson said.
IN OTHER NEWS
V/Line is sill to confirm when train services will resume, but it's understood they will be back on Sunday.
V/Line train drivers had refused to use the section of track where the accident happened due to safety concerns, according to the Australian Rail Tram and Bus Industry Union.
It's been reported the XPT train was travelling at 100km/h when it derailed.
RTBU National Secretary Mark Diamond said it had raised concerns about the allowable speed through Wallan, and signalling infrastructure functioning.
"We're pleased that ARTC, Pacific National, V/Line and NSW Trains have taken our concerns seriously," he said.
"Nevertheless, there are still more many questions that need to be answered.
"As such, it is important that all workers involved in services along the corridor are fully informed, and are able to raise any safety-related concerns.
"We have reiterated to our members that they have the right to a safe work environment.
"If they believe their workplace is not safe, they have the right to refuse to conduct their duties."
Meanwhile, ARTC chief executive John Fullerton confirmed this week the $235 million latest repair to the North East railway line and upgrade it to a Class 2 passenger standard was on track to be completed by mid-20201.
"That work has commenced, but it won't be until all our work is completed in the middle of next year before we really get the benefit of that,"
"It will produce a far higher standard of track which will be good for the community along this corridor."
Investigations into the Wallan derailment are ongoing with its completion not expected until late 2021.