The organisers of Corryong's Man From Snowy River Festival have made what they say is a heartbreaking decision to postpone this year's event due to fears of coronavirus spreading.
An announcement was made on the festival's social media pages on Saturday.
"After the heartache of this summer's bushfires, it is with deep regret we must postpone this year's festival following governmental advice," they said.
"Our team and supporters have worked tirelessly in the lead up to MFSR Festival 2020, often putting it before their personal situations.
"Please bear with us whilst we chart a path forward in the coming days."
The festival would have been one of the major ways to bring tourism back to the Upper Murray to help the region rebuild after the bushfires.
But organisers were left with little choice after advice from the federal government to call off gatherings with more than 500 people from Monday.
The Man From Snowy River Festival was due to take place from April 2-5, but may now be rescheduled for September.
MORE CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE:
Ticketholders, competitors and vendors have been advised to hold onto their paperwork.
Festival organisers said they would try to confirm details of their future plans next week.
"We understand the serious nature of COVID-19 and will continue to comply with the latest advice from the government and health authorities to protect the health and safety of festival-goers and our High Country community," they said.
"We sincerely appreciate your patience and would like to thank the Man From Snowy River Bush Festival community for their generous support so far and understanding during these unprecedented events."
Meanwhile, Lavington and Thurgoona GP Michael Bartram is worried that some people are not taking advice around the coronavirus pandemic seriously.
"The confusion created by our leaders insisting on business as usual then retracting the advice they give has left people in a dangerously uninformed position," he said.
"The effect on economies will be inevitable, but lessened if the disease is limited now.
"Patients still are not aware that now is the time to stop the spread from bad to unbelievably bad.
"The peak of the pandemic in Australia is predicted to be around May and everything we do between now and then will limit the damage."
He has advised people to stay away from others as much as possible.
"There are essential services and these are needing support but will be easily overwhelmed if we treat this in a cavalier fashion," Dr Bartram said.
"Isolate, reduce contact and stymie spread as early as possible. Not tomorrow or next week, but now.
"You might survive an attack but those around you might not be so lucky."
We have removed our paywall from our stories about the coronavirus. This is a rapidly changing situation and we to make sure our readers are as informed as possible. If you would like to support our journalists you can subscribe here