Four young Albury girls are now free on bail over claims they detained then punched and kicked a boy and burnt him with a cigarette lighter.
The group - two are aged 12, one is 11 and the fourth, 15 - have all fronted Albury Local Court over the alleged attack that a magistrate labelled "ugly".
Police claim the girls covered the 13-year-old victim's mouth with duct tape before he was burnt, and also stole his Samsung mobile phone before taking to him to a nearby house where it has been alleged he was further assaulted.
IN OTHER NEWS:
The boy, who knew the girls and who met them in North Albury in a pre-arranged meeting, fled the house several hours later.
He was later treated for bruises and burns.
Magistrate Miranda Moody said the alleged victim "has really been knocked about".
"Gosh, this is a vicious attack. This is really serious," she said.
One of the girls was previously bailed to live with her mother, while her sister, who fronted court this week, must live with her father.
The man stood up in court and promised Ms Moody he would keep a close watch on the girl.
"She'll be under extreme, extreme conditions under me," he said.
"She'll be going where I'm going. She won't be going anywhere near that school (attended by the alleged victim)."
Ms Moody placed a 7pm to 7am curfew on the girls.
She did though accept a submission from the father that his daughter be granted an exception to the curfew when at those times he needed her to go with him when he went out in the evening, including to visit and support his mother who was ill with cancer.
One of the girls was homeless so her bail was granted on the condition that suitable accommodation be found.
Defence lawyer Bronte Winn said because her client was only 12, she was too young "to be able to go into any refuge".
Each of the girls is facing charges of aggravated robbery in company of three others and take and detain with the intention of obtaining advantage and occasioning actual bodily harm last Thursday between 1am and 4am.