It is coming to the time of the year when many of us start to indulge in Easter treats.
Unfortunately for our beloved pets, the same foods can result in life-threatening toxicities.
Chocolate is a well known toxicity in dogs, causing a range of clinical signs including vomiting, lethargy, diarrhoea, tremors, seizures and death.
Theobromine and caffeine are both found in chocolate and are responsible for the toxic signs seen.
Theobromine is found in milk and dark chocolate, while caffeine is found in all forms of chocolate.
For this reason, even white chocolate can be harmful to your pet.
It's not only the season for chocolate, but also for hot cross buns.
Unfortunately, these are also toxic for your pets, causing non-dose dependent kidney failure.
It is the sultanas within the hot cross buns that do the damage.
Unfortunately, just because your dog has had a grape or sultana before and been fine, it does not mean it will be that lucky the next time.
So for your pet's safety, keep the hot cross buns for yourself.
If your pet has found your secret stash of Easter eggs or perhaps grabbed a chocolate or a hot cross bun off the bench, then it is best to take them to see a veterinarian straight away.
Your veterinarian will check your pet and likely make them vomit.
Depending on the amount that they have eatern and any signs they show, they may also need to go onto fluid therapy.
Blood tests may also need to be done.
Remember, your pet doesn't have to miss out on all the Easter fun.
You can source pet safe treats from your local supermarkets, vets and pet food stores.
But if you have any concerns regarding what's safe to feed your beloved pet, contact your local veterinarian for more information.