Spinach, Blue Cheese and Bacon Tart (Serves 8)
- Shortcrust Parmesan pastry
- 500g plain flour
- 250g butter salted
- 20g butter/cooking spray (for greasing tart shell)
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 100g of grated Grana Padano Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper (pinch of each)
- 3 tbsp of cold water
- 6 large leaves of home grown spinach, washed and sliced thick.
- 3 stalks of continental parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 rashers of bacon, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed and finely sliced
- 2 two bulbs of spring onions finely sliced
- 8 eggs
- 300 ml of pouring cream
- 150g of Shadows of Blue cheese, broken into chunks
- 1/2 tsp of sumac spice
- Salt and pepper to taste
MORE LIFESTYLE NEWS:
Make by hand or in food processor. Rub butter into flour. Mix eggs and water together. Add egg mix into flour, mix, then add seasoning and cheese to form a dough. Wrap in cling film and rest in fridge for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease a 28cm diameter with butter. Bring dough out of fridge and roll out to 1/2 cm to line the greased tart shell. Blind-bake tart shell. Cook till golden (about 20 minutes rotating). Take blind baking beans/rice out in the last five minutes. Take out of oven, glaze with egg wash.
Turn oven down to 160 degrees. Fry bacon lightly in some oil. Lightly wilt spinach leaves in pan, take off heat and let cool. In a bowl whisk lightly the eggs and cream. Add remaining ingredients (cheese, parsley, spring onions etc). Pour into tart shell. Cook in oven till just set, about 25-30 minutes. Serve with salad greens and spiced peach relish.
Our COVID-19 news articles relating to public health and safety are free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.