It was not news that the train driver involved in February's derailment at Wallan was going too fast, the question some have been left asking is "why?".
A preliminary report from Australian Transport Safety Bureau released last week confirmed that the Sydney to Melbourne XPT train entered a passing loop at more than 100km/h when the speed limit was 15km/h.
Border Rail Action Group members say they are disappointed no new information was provided in the report.
"BRAG is looking for an explanation of how it was that the deceased XPT driver and accompanying ARTC pilot were obviously unaware of the notification, issued by ARTC the previous day, that they were to be diverted onto the passing loop," the group said in a statement.
"Consequently, they would be passing over points necessarily at slow speed.
"This was in spite of the notice being issued the day before to both V/Line and NSW TrainLink and a copy of it reportedly being found in the XPT loco cabin with the deceased."
IN OTHER NEWS:
Train driver John Kennedy, 54, and pilot Sam Meintanis, 49, were killed and 39 passengers and five train crew members injured.
BRAG claimed the ATSB report was misleading because it used the term "alternative safe working system", rather than saying the manual operations were in place because the track's signal system was not working.
"We hope the other investigations/reports underway by other bodies into this derailment will address the adequacy of the signals systems generally on the North East line," they said.
"BRAG is concerned that the works being done on the signals system under the current track upgrade project will not be sufficient to raise it to modern standards."
We hope the other investigations by other bodies ... will address the adequacy of the signals systems.Border Rail Action Group
They were also concerned the investigation was estimated to take 18 to 24 months to complete, saying "justice delayed is justice denied".
Meanwhile, the $235 million upgrade to the North East line will continue over the Easter weekend.
Three more level crossing renewals will be completed at Racecourse Road at Chiltern, and Federation Way and Bourke Road at Wangaratta North.
ARTC major projects general manager Ed Walker said teams had so far completed 19 level crossing renewals at West Wodonga, Wangaratta and Barnawartha, and upgraded 16 of the rail bridges.
"Teams have worked systematically south after major work started in Wodonga with four more level crossing renewals scheduled for April," he said.
"Work will start at 6pm on Sunday, April 12 to improve these level crossings and we thank the community for their patience with changed traffic conditions in place and increased vehicle movements in the area."