July 1869 - A commodious hotel with the prophetic sign of "The Railway Hotel" has been erected, and will help, with the convenient hotels already existing, to cater for the comfort of future railway travellers.
April 1873 - Mr James Bambrick, the proprietor of the Railway Hotel, has already commenced the erection of a brick hall close to his hotel. (This was to be the Prince of Wales hall.)
With a view to make accommodation for the increase of visitors, on the opening of the railway, Mr Bambrick intends enlarging his premises, adding a billiard room on the ground floor, with a suite of rooms on the second storey.
In 1876, when Wodonga became a shire having separated from Yackandandah, they had several choices of venue to hold council meetings. Fraser's store at 15/- a week, Mr Adam's premises, together with fireplace, table and chairs for 7/-, Bambrick's Prince of Wales hall free on condition the council erected its own offices and fireplace, with the right of removal on termination of tenancy.
Mr Bambrick intends enlarging his premises, adding a billiard room on the ground floor, with a suite of rooms on the second storey.
James Bambrick, as a councillor, was a stumbling block in the decisions to decide a location and erect a purpose built Shire Hall.
The Shire President, John Woodland, and Cr Bambrick had been appointed to sign all contracts entered into on behalf of the council. In February 1890, he refused to sign the contract for the building to avoid putting the council in further debt.
The last meeting of the Wodonga Shire Council in the Prince of Wales hall was held on July 1, 1890 when the seat of government was transferred to the new and more pretentious building designated the shire hall, on the corner of High and Elgin streets. After resigning from the police as a sergeant, Bambrick owned and managed the Railway Hotel for 32 years, selling it in 1902 when he was in his 70s.
He had been one of the first councillors for Wodonga and was in the presidential chair for four terms.
After several changes including change of name from Railway Hotel to Murray River Hotel, then O'Maille's, the building is no more, having been demolished last month.