Albury Wodonga Junior Football League says the fear of potentialy spreading the coronavirus was a major factor for the historic decision to cancel the season.
The AWLFL met on Tuesday night and contacted the eight clubs Wednesday morning.
"Ultimately, with everything that was going on with the COVID-19 situation, it left us with little choice but to make that decision," AWJFL operations manager Matt Elliott said.
"We thought it was in the best interests of the whole community.
"The virus is spreading throughout the Melbourne metropolitan area, there's also now a few cases in our area and the situation in NSW is trending that way as well, or at least it appears to be (in parts of Sydney).
"We've got local businesses expressing their concerns about their livelihood and we didn't want to be put in a position by playing and travelling that we could potentially contribute to the spread of the virus."
We didn't want to be put in a position ... we could potentially contribute to the spread.Matt Elliott
AWJFL has five clubs based in NSW and three in Victoria, with the closure of the State border last week proving crucial.
"We believe that the COVID-19 restrictions have made it very difficult for us to conduct a meaningful season," chairman Stuart Lingham said in the league's press release.
"The Board wishes to acknowledge the support from all our clubs in attempting to get a season underway.
"At all times our focus has been on what is best for our junior footballers.
IN OTHER NEWS:
"However, at this stage our responsibility to our local community is of paramount importance."
AWJFL has under 16s, under 14s and under 12s.
It's believed to be the first time it's been called off after starting as the Albury and Border Juniors in the late 1940s, before becoming AWJFL in the 1980s.