A DECISION on whether or not Victorian-based students and staff are banned from attending schools in NSW could be made on Wednesday.
A spokeswoman for NSW Education Minister Sarah Mitchell said the matter was being contemplated and it could be resolved on Wednesday.
Member for Albury Justin Clancy said on Wednesday morning the issue centred around the NSW Education Department's response to the latest Victorian public health order.
He said NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian had told him there "is no decision at this stage".
"I would be extremely disappointed if it has on an impact on students going to school in Albury," Mr Clancy said.
"I feel they should continue to have the opportunity to go to NSW for their education."
Mr Clancy said he realised the uncertainty around the matter was creating tension for students, teachers and parents.
"I've made it quite clear there's been no formal communication and this amplifies the concerns of our community and I've indicated that directly to the Premier," he said.
"Lack of communication and lack of consultation is something I'm frankly quite irate about and I would expect there would be parents and students anxious and frustrated and I've made that quite clear to the Premier."
Victorian-based students and staff who attend schools in NSW could be victims of even tougher border closure measures still to be confirmed by the NSW government late Tuesday.
Member for Albury Justin Clancy said he was aware of growing community concerns on the issue and was seeking an urgent briefing from his government.
"The border community has been through a lot in the last few weeks," Mr Clancy said from Sydney.
"I would have real concerns around unfairness to Victorian students if they were impacted by any further changes.
"I am seeking further clarification.
"Any suggestion this is occurring is a response by health (department) and the chief health officer to the Victorian (changes)."
All Victorian students including those in regional areas are returning to remote learning from Wednesday.
Mr Clancy said if the changes were made he would be seeking exemptions for year 11 and 12 students and teachers.
"I understand there is a high degree of concern and anxiousness within our community," he said.
A large number of Wodonga-based students and teachers would be impacted by any changes.
They had been free to travel to Albury when the tougher border closure measures came into effect a fortnight ago.
The Border Mail has sought details of the changes from the NSW government.
Ms Berejiklian has come under fire for the lack of consultation about border closure restriction changes since they began last month.