UPDATE: Fire and Rescue NSW reported the situation was safe early Wednesday afternoon, with residents allowed to return soon and school activities resuming.
Edward Public School confirmed school would resume as usual on Thursday.
EARLIER: A Deniliquin school has been closed because of a gas leak on Wednesday morning.
Superintendent Stewart Alexander, the Fire and Rescue NSW zone commander, said firefighters had contained the leak from a LPG cylinder and were waiting for specialist contractors to arrive.
"They're making sure that all ignition sources are excluded from that area, and they've got a water spray on the leaking area, just to suppress the vapour," he said.
"It's all completely under control at this time ... (but) we're not taking any chances.
"As a precaution, the school is not opening until we can render it safe."
Deniliquin firefighters received the call-out at 7.30am when neighbours heard escaping gas from a large LPG cylinder on the Edward Public School block in Butler Street.
Police also attended and an exclusion zone was set up as parents, staff and students arriving for school were turned away.
A couple of neighbouring homes were also evacuated.
Superintendent Alexander said the company would help firefighters assess what had happened to cause the leak.
"At the moment no injuries, nobody's hurt and everything's under control," he said.
Edward Public School, Butler Street, advised people not to enter the school grounds and for students to stay at home if possible.
"The school will be non-operational today," the school posted on its Facebook page.
IN OTHER NEWS:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.