Border students in years 3, 5, 7 and 9 undertook their first day of the National Assessment Program - Literacy and Numeracy (NAPLAN) on Tuesday, after more than a year.
Melrose Primary School principal Ben Slocombe said the COVID-19 pandemic caused students to miss the assessments last year.
"They haven't done it for 24 months," he said.
"So it's another level of anxiety we've had to deal with in our children, so we've tried to limit those by making it as smooth as possible."
IN OTHER NEWS:
He said the three days of assessments could be challenging for students, but were only one way teachers tracked student growth.
"It's a one-off snapshot," he said. "It's not the best to find out where a student is."
"My message to parents is that when you receive your NAPLAN results you make sure you go and speak to your class teachers.
"Connect with your teachers, because they're the ones who are going to have the full image of your child's learning."
Mr Slocombe said he anticipated the assessment results would show what teachers were already expecting.
NAPLAN results will be released from mid-August.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.