Firefighters have extinguished a blaze before it could spread and damage a Corowa business.
Crews were called to Corowa Meats on Sanger Street about 1.45am on Thursday.
Fire and Rescue NSW Inspector Frank Finlay said a meat smoker caught alight at the property.
The incident was spotted by a member of the public.
A nearby resident used a garden hose in a bid to extinguish the blaze when firefighters arrived.
"What they found on arrival was the butcher shop was totally full of smoke," he said.
"Crews turned the power off to the building, which stopped the fire.
"It was caused by an electrical fault in the smoker and turning off the power fixed the problem."
The flames were prevented from spreading to adjoining buildings.
IN OTHER NEWS:
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus ventilated the business and checked to make sure flames hadn't spread through the store.
They remained on scene until about 3.30am.
Inspector Finlay said it was a positive result to contain the fire before it caused serious damage.
Photographs taken at the scene show damage to cooking equipment in an area of the brick building.
Dark smoke marks were visible where the fire occurred, and the smoker appeared to have been destroyed.
The property shares a wall with Corowa Bakery.
Firefighters have responded to a string of buildings fires in the region in recent weeks.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.