A young girl has been hospitalised with serious injuries after her clothing caught alight from a backyard fire in Mount Austin this week.
A police spokesperson confirmed officers from Riverina Police District were called to a home at Mount Austin at 4.20pm on Tuesday following reports two people had sustained burns.
"Police were told a man had been building a fire in his backyard and used an accelerant that spilled outside of the containment," the spokesperson said.
"When the fire was ignited, the clothing of a two-year-old girl caught fire."
IN OTHER NEWS
A 23-year-old man and two-year-old girl were discovered with "serious" burns to their bodies at the scene.
Five ambulance crews arrived on the scene and treated the man for minor burns to his hands, and the young girl for more serious burns to her legs.
The pair were taken to Wagga Base Hospital before being airlifted to Concord Hospital for treatment.
Fire crews were also called to the scene but said the fire wasn't out of control, describing it as a "small recreational fire in a fire bucket".
Fire buckets are permitted in domestic backyard settings for cooking.
Police inquiries into the incident are ongoing, no charges have been laid.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.