Albury Council has been asked to re-explore the option of hosting Carols by Candlelight in the city this year.
Councillor Murray King has flagged the matter as urgent business to be discussed at Monday's meeting after clarity was provided with the announcement of the NSW roadmap out of COVID restrictions on Thursday.
With the state 70 per cent vaccinated, rules allow public gatherings of up to 3000 from Monday, which would be expected to increase when the 80 per cent target is reached.
Cr King said council moved too quickly to cancel Carols by Candlelight last month, but believes there's more than enough time to get it organised.
Council reluctantly made the decision because of possible restrictions around mass gatherings, but Cr King said the NSW roadmap should ease those concerns.
"I'm urging the council to revisit it and we go back to somewhere between a production we used to have pre-COVID and the not that great virtual one," he said.
"I'd like to see the council be a leader in getting back to the way things were and not being massively overcautious to the point where we get nothing done and keep cancelling things.
"Someone has got to stand up and say 'let's work to the edge of the guidelines and get it fired up'.
"If we wanted to run the carols next week, we could do that quite successfully under the new restrictions.
"It's only going to open up more to benefit the show.
IN OTHER NEWS:
"I hope the council will get their events team together, form a little committee and throw out the net to all the community groups that have singing and see how we go.
"No-one is expecting a Royal Albert Theatre production, but at least we can have a positive approach to community activities."
Cr King would also like to see the event follow tradition and go ahead at QEII Square.
"I just don't want the council staff to put up all these roadblocks," he said.
"We've got enough roadblocks with the state and federal governments, let's not create our little roadblocks.
"It's the second year in a row that it's been cancelled and there's some kids that are missing this memorable part of their lives."
Wodonga Carols by Candlelight organiser Jacob Mildren said with rules around gatherings in Victoria not as lenient, an online event is a distinct possibility, but was yet to be finalised.
"If Victoria's situation doesn't improve, there's obviously some concerns the Victorian government may not allow mass gatherings like carols to go ahead," Mr Mildren said.
"Even something like 2000 people, we probably can't do that, so we're leaning towards an online event at this stage."
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.