The devastated parents of a two-year-old who died following hospital treatment say she was the light of their lives and their days are now much darker.
Callie Griffiths-I'anson's parents, Tom and Natalia, could have answers over her death within about five months.
The two-year-old drank a cleaning chemical from behind the bar of an Oaklands pub on December 11, 2017.
She was taken for treatment and was discharged from the Royal Children's Hospital on January 11, 2018.
A coroner's inquest heard her parents were concerned about her before she was discharged and thought she "wasn't herself".
They returned to Oaklands and she died the next day.
Coroner Paresa Spanos heard three days of evidence recently.
The inquest has focused on her hospital treatment and perforation of her oesophagus, rather than the ingestion of the caustic liquid.
A statement read on behalf of her family detailed their loss.
"Callie was a cautious and sensitive soul who would only allow others in when she got comfortable," they said.
"Wise beyond her mere two years.
IN OTHER NEWS:
"Once placed in her circle of trust, it is hard to put into words how special it was to feel her love.
"Her hilarious quirks filled out days with smiles and laughter."
Those quirks included refusing to leave their house without her handbag or upside down sunglasses.
"Unfortunately our days now are much darker," the family said.
"We hope that this inquest and our loss can pave the way for positive change in a system that is in such inherent need of it."
Nurse Amy Conroy said she was shocked when she heard her patient had died.
Her recollection of the toddler's condition, and the family's concerns, were at odds with the toddler's parents.
Consultant paediatrician Dr Christopher Kirby said her weight had dropped, her condition was declining, and there were obvious record-keeping issues in the case.
Coroner Spanos adjourned to a date to be fixed.
She said in the best case scenario, it could take about five months for her findings to be handed down.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.