Diana MacQuillan, who was a teenager in Yass in the 1940s, recalls with fondness the occasional afternoon tea or lunch at Sheekey’s Tearooms next to the Memorial Hall. “They sold pies and cakes,”&nbsp;she recalled. “Their pies were delicious. The best I have ever tasted!” But the story of Sheekey’s in Yass started way back in 1863&nbsp;when the Yass Courier on December 6 noted that&nbsp; Patrick Sheekey had started a bakery shop&nbsp;in Yass.&nbsp; His family had emigrated from&nbsp;Ireland&nbsp;around 1855 and started a cordial factory in Goulburn. Despite being declared insolvent in 1867, Patrick was able to remain in business. By 1873, Patrick had opened his aerated water factory in Comur Street. By 1886, he had moved to newly built premises where he continued his business as a baker, confectioner and lemonade maker. By the 1890s the business was continued by Patrick’s sons, including TJ Sheekey. TJ Sheekey went on to build a business empire.&nbsp; By 1892, TJ Sheekey had installed a gas engine to drive his aerated water plant, the first time gas had been used other than for lighting in Yass.&nbsp; By 1894 it was reported that he had added several new non-intoxicating drinks to his range. The new flavours included Hop and Dandelion Ale. An article in Australian Town and Country Journal, December 1, 1900 noted that Sheekey was a first class caterer who provided not only for most social events in Yass, but also in Cootamundra, Young, Temora and Wagga Wagga.&nbsp; Sheekey was chosen to provide soft drinks at the ceremony in Canberra on March 12, 1913 for the naming of the city. His drinks were carted fortnightly to Canberra construction camps and settlements from 1913 into the 1920s. An advertising feature in the Yass newspaper in 1920s shows photos of buildings which formed part of Sheekey’s enterprises. The building included factories, storerooms, motor garage, cart and lorry sheds and so on,&nbsp;covering three and a half acres in Yass. Sheekey supplied drinks for the opening of Hotel Canberra in December 1924 and for functions held on May 9, 1927 when Federal Parliament opened in Canberra. In 1924, he attended the first land sale in ACT. His new factory opened in 1927 making him the first cordial and ice-making manufacturer in Canberra. TJ Sheekey died on March 15, 1931. His obituary in Burrowa Times March 20, 1931 noted that his skills as a singer and concertina were much appreciated at local country dances.