A "terrifying" fire has destroyed a home at Beechworth Wildlife Stays, killing many animals including reptiles, a dog and a cat.
A Country Fire authority spokesman said a house on Bucklands Gap Road, Beechworth, was engulfed in flames on Thursday night.
The spokesman said the house was well alight when firefighters attended and was destroyed by the blaze.
He said no one was in the building at the time but could not provide details about the animals.
The spokesman said four tankers attended the scene.
Heartbroken owners Sue Hiatt and David Haythorne shared the news online and thanked the Beechworth community for its generosity in tough times.
IN OTHER NEWS:
"Everything we had including nearly all our animals have perished," they said.
"We are completely heartbroken and lost. We did everything in our power to rescue everyone but couldn't get to them all."
The pair bought the property in 2014 before relocating from Melbourne in 2016.
Beechworth Wildlife Stays offers a "glamping" experience among wildlife, with unique animal experiences such as feeding crocodiles.
It also operates as a wildlife shelter, taking in injured animals.
The couple asked people with bookings to wait a couple of weeks and then email through details as they have lost all their records.
"We are humbled by the incredible generosity of the people of Beechworth that have been so kind to us, thank you from the bottom of our broken hearts," they said.