HUNDREDS of Border dancers, debaters and musicians will miss Albury Wodonga Eisteddfod for the second year in a row owing to the global pandemic.
The Twin Cities' major arts competition due to open at Albury Entertainment Centre on Thursday was cancelled amid escalating coronavirus outbreaks in NSW and Victoria.
Albury Wodonga Eisteddfod vice president Rad Gavrilovic said the committee had made the difficult decision on Monday night to cancel all disciplines.
"It was a heartbreaking decision to have to cancel the whole eisteddfod," he said.
"There has been a great deal of hard work behind the scenes from all on the committee. However, our duty of care is to our performers, their families, adjudicators, and volunteers and the health and safety of our local community comes first."
Mr Gavrilovic said the committee and administrators had been determined to host a COVID-Safe eisteddfod this winter after calling off last year's event early.
"Up until eight days ago we were on track; we had ordered the medals and trophies," Mr Gavrilovic said.
"With Sydney in lockdown we were still able to run our event but when Victoria went into lockdown our Wodonga competitors could no longer come across to compete."
IN OTHER NEWS:
Mr Gavrilovic said while it wasn't viable to reschedule the competition, they planned to return next year.
"We only hope for the continued support of our community," he said.
"We hope that the world, and Australia, will be a healthier place and our young people who want to participate in the arts will have the chance to perform."
Mr Gavrilovic said entry fees and pre-purchased tickets would be refunded.
"We're working on that but we ask people to be patient."
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: