Deputy Premier John Barilaro said new cases had been detected in parts of regional areas including Queanbeyan and Goulburn in southern NSW.
He said the state needs to stay in front of the curve and regional NSW had to remain in locked down.
Mr Barilaro said the case numbers were growing in western NSW, far west and southern parts of NSW.
Regional NSW will remain lockdown until at least August 28 as NSW grapples to contain its growing Delta outbreak.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian acknowledged there were vast areas of regional NSW without cases but said they were taking a precautionary stance.
"Given the outbreak in western NSW and a few cases elsewhere in the region, the lockdown in regional NSW will continue," she said.
Ms Berejiklian said every state will have to learn to live with Delta.
She said NSW can lead the way in making sure people stay out of hospital while citizens live as freely as possible through high rates of vaccination.
NSW recorded 681 new cases of COVID-19 in the 24 hours to 8pm yesterday, 87 of which were infectious while in the community. The isolation status of 459 cases remain under investigation.
A COVID-positive man with underlying health conditions died with the virus.
110,000 COVID vaccines were administered in the 24 hours to 8pm yesterday and 119,000 tests undertaken.
Across the border in Victoria, 57 new locally acquired cases were recorded in the 24 hours to midnight, in the worst day of the Delta outbreak so far.
The figure is more than double yesterday's 24 case tally. Of the new cases in Victoria 13 were infectious while in the community.
Yesterday 633 cases of COVID and three deaths were recorded in NSW.
IN OTHER NEWS:
Premier Gladys Berejiklian warned the state had "not seen the worst" of the outbreak.
"Just stay home," she said.
Dr Kerry Chant urged people across to be cautious.
"Whilst vaccination will be an aid and essential... our vaccination coverage at the moment is far too low. We need to do everything we can to not come in contact with anyone."
"We have a collective responsibility to stop seeing those deaths and hospitalisations increase.
Deputy Premier John Barilaro warned it was highly likely regional NSW would remain locked down.
"What we've actually seen is escalating numbers that have been occurring across the state. You've got places like Dubbo with 128 cases, cases in Mudgee, Bourke, we've had exposure sites in Bathurst, Orange and Dubbo, we've had positive fragments detected in the sewage in Bathurst and Orange as well, so it does seem highly likely that we will be in for another seven-day period."
We have removed our paywall from our stories which contain need-to-know information about coronavirus. If you would like to support our journalists you can subscribe here.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.