A BORDER business leader has welcomed the extension of the NSW Dine and Discover voucher scheme which encourages tourism and eating out.
The state government stated on Wednesday the program, which allows NSW residents to access four $25 vouchers, would end on July 31 rather than June 30 as previously planned.
The added time will allow the vouchers to be used in the upcoming school holidays.
Business NSW Murray-Riverina chief Anthony McFarlane, who's been concerned Albury's voucher use is less than other areas, was pleased by the extension.
"I think that is great, in the circumstances it provides ample time to use up the existing vouchers that are still there," Mr McFarlane said.
"I suspect it needs to be a shorter extension so that during the quiet months people get out and use the vouchers.
IN OTHER NEWS:
"If it was a really long timeframe the pressure would not be there to use them."
Albury Manor House motel front office manager Michael Kliese was also pleased with the additional period.
He said there had been a steady stream of vouchers redeemed with overnight guests responsible for about 60 per cent and the remainder was locals using them to dine at the motel.
Up to Sunday, there had been 40,011 vouchers used in Albury, representing $988,554 in value.
Overall $1.546 million has spent in association with the coupons, meaning more than half a million dollars has flowed into the economy through the stimulation measure.
Albury Regent Cinemas manager Kelly Davis said the vouchers had been a boon for her business, with some being redeemed every day.
"It's good now they will be in the school holidays," she said.